MPU6050 sensor module is complete 6-axis Motion Tracking Device. It combines 3-axis Gyroscope, 3-axis Accelerometer and Digital Motion Processor all in small package. Also, it has additional feature of on-chip Temperature sensor. It has I2C bus interface to communicate with the microcontrollers.
It has Auxiliary I2C bus to communicate with other sensor devices like 3-axis Magnetometer, Pressure sensor etc.
If 3-axis Magnetometer is connected to auxiliary I2C bus, then MPU6050 can provide complete 9-axis Motion Fusion output.
Let’s see MPU6050 inside sensors.
The MPU6050 consist of 3-axis Gyroscope with Micro Electro Mechanical System(MEMS) technology. It is used to detect rotational velocity along the X, Y, Z axes as shown in below figure.
– When the gyros are rotated about any of the sense axes, the Coriolis Effect causes a vibration that is detected by a MEM inside MPU6050.
– The resulting signal is amplified, demodulated, and filtered to produce a voltage that is proportional to the angular rate.
– This voltage is digitized using 16-bit ADC to sample each axis.
– The full-scale range of output are +/- 250, +/- 500, +/- 1000, +/- 2000.
– It measures the angular velocity along each axis in degree per second unit.